Sokratis replaced injured Laurent Koscielny in the second half and scored his fifth touchdown
Arsenal have booked their place in the last 16 games of the Europa League thanks to a comfortable victory in the first leg against Bate Borisov at the Emirates stadium.
Pulling back 1-0 from the first leg, they scored in four minutes when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's center was awarded by Bate defender Zakhar Volkov.
The center back Shkodran Mustafi was imposed 2-0 before the break with a powerful header from Granit Xhaka's corner.
Sokratis Papastathopoulos, substitute, scored the third goal after an hour.
After a disappointing performance in losing the first leg in Belarus, Arsenal had to score at least twice before passing.
Bate was denied equalization just four minutes after Arsenal took advantage, when Stephan Lichtsteiner slipped into the elbows to give Stanislav Dragun a clear head spot.
The visitors also came closer when Maksim Skavysh scored in the first half, but Arsenal had the best chances thanks to Alex Iwobi, Xhaka and Aubameyang.
The draw for the last 16 takes place on Friday, February 22 at 12:00 GMT. You can watch it live on the BBC Sport website.
No worries for the gunners at ease
Arsenal supporters have described the time of 17:55 GMT kick off as "totally unacceptable and inconvenient", as the stadium slowly filled the seats.
Arsenal boss, Unai Emery, has promised that the performance of his team would be "different" from that of his lack of realism in Belarus and he was not wrong.
The Gunners seemed overwhelmed with energy in the early stages: they won two early turns and forced goaltender Denis Scherbitski to save the ball when Iwobi jumped into the center of Lichtsteiner.
They were rewarded when the ball bounced off Volkov's tibia and into the back of the net to give them a crucial tying goal.
Arsenal continued to press high on the field and created opportunities in both halves. They had 22 shots in total – including 15 in the box – and put 24 open play centers.
Xhaka forced Scherbitski to make a smart save by making a powerful long-range effort in the first half, while Mesut Ozil, who had just scored his second start in 2019 and his first goal in four games, shot a wide shot from the post left and Aubameyang's free kick saved after the break.
Bate has approached a few times – Skavysh has taken control of Nacho Monreal only to sneak the ball into the nets, before Lichtsteiner leaves the lead to Dragun at the last minute.
But Arsenal were dominant throughout the match and he never really seemed to have to concede an expensive goal.
The Gunners have not qualified for the final of a European competition since their defeat in 2006 against the Champions League by Barcelona and were eliminated in the semifinals of the competition last season.
They hope, however, to go a little further this time: the prospect of securing an automatic place in the Champions League by winning the Europa League is an important motivator.
The bookmakers rank Arsenal third behind Napoli and Chelsea to win a three-time Emery competition in successive seasons with the former Sevilla club.
Arsenal could face the five-time Spanish winners in the draw held Friday.
& # 39; If we mark, continue & # 39; – Emery
Unai Emery, head of Arsenal, address to BT Sport: "We wanted this result, but we also wanted to play for our fans here, to improve and strengthen our mentality after the first game outside, which was not good." We did our best to come back [in the tie] and the team worked very well.
"But we also had to take precautions, because if they scored, they could come back in. Our message was that if we scored, we would go on, if we scored two, we would go on. two, three or four goals for more precaution within 90 minutes.
"The players developed our game plan as we wished and they often came into the surface with a lot of centers, and we showed the efficiency with which we went, which we did not have. away. "
Air threats and super-submarines – the best of statistics
- Arsenal canceled its first leg defeat in a two-on-two first leg match in Europe for the first time since February 2010, when it eliminated Porto in 16th in the Champions League.
- Arsenal has maintained three consecutive white sheets at the Emirates in European competition for the first time since a series of six shutouts ending in April 2009 (including qualifying).
- As for the playoffs, Belarusian teams lost four of their five visits to English clubs in the UEFA Europa League; with Bate's victory at Everton in December 2009, the only success.
- Substitutes from Arsenal have scored 13 goals in all competitions this season, more than any other Premier League team.
- Emery has lost only one of his last 17 home games in the UEFA Europa League (W15, D1, L1), his Sevilla team bowing 1-2 against Athletic Bilbao in the last match go 2015-2016.
- Arsenal's first match against Bate was the fastest in the European competition since Lukas Podolski scored against Galatasaray (2 min 1 s) in the Champions League in December 2014.
- Seven of Mustafi's eight goals for Arsenal, all competitions, have gone through the lead.
- Xhaka provided two assists for Arsenal for the second time in all competitions, after scoring two goals against Leicester in the Premier League in August 2017.
- Ozil made his 19th appearance for Arsenal in all competitions this season, playing the full 90 minutes for the seventh time only in 2018-19.